Auditions for COMPANY by Stephen Sondheim
December 14: 3-6 p.m.
December 16: 6-9 p.m.
December 17 (potential callbacks): 6-9 p.m.
All at Robert A. Lee Recreation Center, Iowa City
In this production, we aim to depict people and relationships that better reflect our reality, so we are hoping for a diverse pool of talent. We encourage actors of any race, ethnicity, language, disability/ability, sexual orientation, and gender identification to audition.
- Rehearsals will start in mid to late January, depending upon cast/crew conflicts.
- Rehearsals will be 7 – 10 p.m. weekdays, and one weekend day or evening
- The show will open Friday, March 6, and run through Sunday, March 15.
About the show
On the night of his 35th birthday, Robert struggles to think of a wish to make as he blows out his birthday candles. The lone bachelor, surrounded by “those good and crazy people” – his married friends – is uncertain whether he should simply be happy with his lot or whether he should wish for his own romantic partner. Over a series of dinner parties, first dates,l and thoughtful conversations, Robert attempts to understand the pros and cons of marriage from his diverse and frequently hilarious friends, and begins to make sense of his own persistent bachelorhood. Stephen Sondheim’s groundbreaking modern musical is a mature, intelligent, and wildly funny look at relationships, vulnerability, and “being alive.” (Stage Agent)
- Please come prepared to sing 16 bars of a Sondheim song (not from COMPANY). We will have an accompanist, so please bring the music if you have it. If not, a capella will be fine.
- Sides will be available for auditions for cold readings. You may be asked to play against your gender type.
- Make sure you have all conflicts from January 12 through March 15 ready to note on your audition form.
- We won’t be doing choreography at auditions, but please wear something you’re able to move in.
Director: Rachel Korach Howell
Music Director: Benjamin Schmidt
Assistant Director: Melissa Kaska
Stage Manager: Shay Lilienthal
Scenic Design: Jeff Mead
Lighting Design: Benjamin S. Farrar
Movement: Anna Slife (dance), Kehry Anson Lane (fight coordinator)
April (Mezzo Soprano)
Marta (Mezzo Soprano)
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.